Monday, December 24, 2012

They used to be sweet


I spent most of the day baking and preparing for tomorrow’s dinner, as well as tonight’s, and the kids have shown not one iota of appreciation. They don’t seem particularly excited for Christmas tomorrow, but they’re also copping some odd attitude about it.

They’ve spent the entire day lazing around the house, bickering, being generally disrespectful. When they started getting really bad, I lost my temper slightly and threatened to cancel Christmas this year. Sarah said ‘you wouldn’t waste the money’. Then she started sneering about the non-existent of Santa Claus.

She’s been so unpleasant, lately, and Brendan is still quiet - traumatized, I think, and I try to make allowances for that, but some of the things he says and does just shock me. And today, they’ve been worse than usual.

I miss the days when they used to get so excited on Christmas Eve that they couldn’t do anything but watch Christmas movies in front of the TV, sitting by the tree, drinking hot chocolate I’d make for them. Brendan used to nearly make himself sick, he’d be so excited. They’d fuss over which cookies to put out for Santa, and they’d walk with me to the grocery store to buy carrots - one for each reindeer, they said, because they didn’t want any of them left out. One for Rudolph, too.

They were so sweet, back then. They made this season something to look forward to.

Now it’s all just more stress. More reasons to be miserable.
I didn’t say I wouldn’t add anything when she was done, though.

I wonder how any of your children could ever be so unpleasant.  They have such a wonderful set of role models

An overworked housewife who’s never actually Lived a day in her life, an overworked professor who’s married to his job more than he is to his face.  And the loveless marriage that’s trapped them together with a pair of twins who get to watch their mother slowly self destruct because of my little push.  I’m waiting for you to thank me, Lyndsay, because your life is a suburban hell.  I make you interesting.  I give your life meaning.  And all I get?  Scorn.   Grudging acceptance.  You should love me.  Love that I’m making your dismal little life actually fun for once.  

I’ll see you on Christmas.

Wouldn’t want to miss my special day, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment